Interesting results published by Procter & Gamble on the frequency of word of mouth brand conversations.
Their research agency, Keller Fay, persuaded 32,000 people to keep dairies that tracked when they had brand related discussions. An overwhelming 91% were reported to occur either in person or on the telephone, leaving only 9% for new media channels.
60% of these conversations made participants “more likely” to purchase, and 67% of conversations were “positive” in tone. That seems like an opportunity to good to pass up.
Digital conversations are far more visible, and they remain online long after the discussion has faded away, so it’s perhaps unsurprising that they seem more important to me as a marketer.
The social optimist in me says that the online environment is ‘closer’ to a point of sale, and retains it importance. The social pessimist in me feels like he always knew that the vast majority of folk aren’t talking about brands online.
I think the key takeout from this for me, is the need for a renewed focus on channel neutrality and ensuring that from the ground up; your product, your offer and your communications are more than just present on a channel in proximity to a genericised consumer. As a brand you need to be worth talking about, especially if you want to end up competing on something more than price.