It’s Lions time again and once more the PR section of the awards has been dominated by the advertising industry. I thought it might be valuable to share some insights on what had won with my team here at H&K, and now with the rest of you out there in everywhere land.
The big simialrities between the ones that did well were:
- ROI from a comms perspective, reach or AVE’s mostly.
- An engaged audience, who can be contacted again.
- A strong insight led strategy, that flows through all the elements.
- A demonstrable link to the client’s bottom line, making a difference for the client.
- An end to end idea, that created a platform for earned media amplification.
- An innovative execution of the idea, showcasing something that hadn’t been done before.
- Channel neutral planning, letting the strategy guide channel selection happily including media partners to help grow a story and make it attractive enough to earn media around the world.
Well then, that doesn’t sound to hard. I’ll be sure to wave at you all from the stage next June.
Joviality aside, I thought it was great to see a shift in the awards criteria to reflect the need for great comms to have a demonstrable effect from a business perspective. The qualitative wankiness has been rightly dialed down as advertising’s panacea has lost its ability to close every deal. It’s all about the integrated mix these days, with a result for your client at the end of it.